Thursday, 1 May 2014

Strehler: state of the art

I know that i'm not a frequent writer so a lot of interesting things about me doesn't appear on this place because i'm lazy. So I decided to write just a post to summing up how Strehler is going on after the 1.0.0 release.

Well, a lot of things changed and got better since that day. The first, fundamental step, with 1.1.0 was landing on CPAN with a real test suite and some supporting script. Now you can install Strehler using just cpan -i Strehler and getting an up and running CMS with few commands. In many ways the 1.1.0 release of Strehler is the real first release, because I know that the long, boring and messy installation procedure of 1.0.0 is something NOONE would use, out of me, obviously, but I'm the father of Strehler and my judge is irrilevant.

Strehler 1.1.0 was my first package released on CPAN so I learned a lot releasing it. I learned about PAUSE, about distzilla and about how many thing to your code after you upload it on the perl repository. I did a lot of things wrong because mistakes are the way nature teach you things, so in the week after 1.1.0 release I released FIVE bugfix packeges bringing rapidly Strehler to 1.1.5 version. Well, it's a good thing, high numbers make your software truly professional.

With a quite stable version of my software on the public repository, I started work about little features not yet implemented, like function to order admin list and searchbox. All these things went in the 1.1.6 version and i'm quite proud of it. Yes, a lot of work could be done on the search box because it is implemented in the easiest and plainest way I found, with no indexing or optimizations. It's good because it's accessible just from the backend of your site, but it's probably not a good implementation if you want it also on the frontend.  Probably in the future I'll do something, pluggable if I can, about it.

I'll probably release soon a 1.1.7 version. I wanted to wait after some implementations, but I found a big bug in the strehler script that make impossible to create a strehler database on your custom site, making all the installation process useless. I fixed it and I want to share it with the world as soon as possible.

After that, a lot of adventures are waiting for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment